download this image   
       Alive in CNY  
             

2006/06/11

Rows of tiny objects

(Also posted at Turtle Ink)
I think the title of this entry was the theme for Friday night, though I must admit that not all the objects were tiny and not all of them were in rows.
Sometimes, if I'm lucky, when I'm at an art show I want to break the rules and touch a painting. I had this feeling a couple of times this weekend. First, on Friday, Jane and I attended the opening of The Syracuse Salon de Refuse (put together by the Visual Arts Committee of the Cultural Resources Council) at the Syracuse Technology Garden. My fingers itched to just reach over and touch one of the bare tree branches in Margaret Olney-McBride's painting "Shore Reflected." I didn't but I did look at it from quite a few different angles. Also, noteworthy in this exhibit were Donal and Shel Little's print "Felix Anas/Lucky Duck," Jacqueline Adamo's "Market Place" (Jane says think Munter) and an unknown person's (no placard) painting with blue blobs. All these works were in rows, except for "The Chips of Time" by Angelo Puccia, wrapped around a column. (Does the phone work? Was it part of the piece? I am very tempted to find out.)
After the exhibit we went to the Little Gem Diner for some exceptional plates of food and cups of coffee. Jane thinks it was the first time she had been there during daylight hours. Heading back downtown, we stopped at Sound Garden to pick up some Artic Monkeys and peruse the cds. Here is where the theme of the evening became especially apparent. Several cd covers had rows of tiny objects pictured on them. At some point in the near future I will go back and find those cds. Also drawing attention, the vintage t-shirt--on the side of which were technical drawings of a moth with text about behavior, some of it crossed out. Brilliant.
Finally, the evening ended in a movie theatre, art and intrigue in front of us and yapping girls behind us (you paid $8 apiece for a ticket, why aren't you watching the movie?). Yes, the Da Vinci Code. Can I just say Paris we're coming. Ian McKellen is simply brilliant, portraying the grail scholar willing to resort to almost any means to achieve his end. I wished for a little more with the mystery, a little more with cameras lingering on the art and the tombs. But, all in all, a decent flick.
So, here are my recommends for an artful, tiny objects in a row evening:
Salon des Refuse at Syracuse Technology Garden
Little Gem Diner
Sound Garden
The Da Vinci Code

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?