download this image   
       Alive in CNY  
             

2006/07/07

Rally for equal marriage rights

By now, most of you are aware that New York's top court today said that only heterosexual couples can get married. I won't go into the absolute ridiculousness of this decision, but I want to applaud Empire State Pride for getting their rally on.

I headed down to Hanover Square tonight to meet up with Kim and 250 other people in a rally for equal marriage rights. That's right. The decision was handed down this morning, and by 7 p.m. there were 250 people rallying in downtown Syracuse.

I just don't see the apathy and withering here that other people seem to see – except among our elected representatives: none of the locals came out tonight. Not one.

My favorite sign tonight, and I'm paraphrasing, as the memory is now five hours old:
Dear Pataki,

Thanks for supporting the court's homophobic ruling. My partner and I are proud second-class citizens of N.Y.!
Here's a not-so-novel-anymore idea: No more state-sponsored marriage. Civil unions for everybody – straight or gay. You want to get married? Have it witnessed before your own god in your own house of worship.

Update: Here's a story on the rally.

Update II: Discussion has begun at Feministing, including a report on the Greenwich Village rally last night. Keep checking that post. The comment threads get really good over there.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?