download this image   
       Alive in CNY  
             

2006/09/15

The last Inner Harbor block party of the season

I made an unscheduled trip down to the Inner Harbor last night. After locking up my Schwinn, I dutifully submitted to a bag check (a copy of Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas and a not-blank-anymore book) and an ID check, bought a 24-ounce can of Blue Light (my beer standards have fallen mightily since I moved to the'Cuse, despite some great locall breweries), and cozied up to the rail.

And spent an hour and a half enthralled with The Lunachik Fringe. You have to do a lot as a cover band do keep my attention for more than a couple of songs, but let's face it, if Robyn's going to sing Janis, I'm going to listen.

I didn't stick around for Under the Gun (but fantastic performers, them), but I did get to watch the crowd swell to something over 500 – and people were definitely still pouring in when as I was leaving.

Next summer, there's a pretty good chance that either the Pyramid Cos. or the Sutton Cos. will own the Inner Harbor. I hope the new owner lets this series live on. It's bringing hundreds of Central New Yorkers of all ages (and I do mean all: I stood next to an elderly woman for a little while, watching the six-year-olds dance) out to a gem in the city for what is, plain and simple, a good time.

Update: Dick Case is thinking that maybe Pyramid's waiting for a new governor (and, presumably, the opportunity to wrangle for concessions from the state on regulations and prices) before putting up some cash.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?