download this image   
       Alive in CNY  
             

2006/10/26

Connections or Apophenia?

Josh has done an excellent job of chronicling the destiny fiasco (including the myriad claims disparaging small businesses) and pointing out the mayor’s proposal to raise the certificate of use fee. Now, the Syracuse New Times’ Best of Syracuse 2006 featured two categories with national chains nominated where national chains have no business being nominated: Best Coffee Joint and Best Record Store.
Perhaps it’s the snob in me, but music stores and coffee shops are personal. I shudder to think I live in a city that can’t do better than Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts for Best Coffee Joint—conspicuously missing from the nominations is my local coffee shop Recess and probably one or more of your favorites. (I haven’t had the chance yet but soon I’m hoping to get out to Sertino’s Café in Liverpool—it’s new to the area, so hopefully we’ll see it on next year’s Best Of list.) NOT TO MENTION, Barnes and Noble, Best Buy and Borders for Best Record Store?!?!?!?! (Shudders are now uncontrollable convulsions.)
National chains serve a purpose. Yes, I understand this. But it’s a supplemental purpose. Just as your multivitamin shouldn’t be your sole source of all those necessary vitamins and minerals, neither should national chains serve as any city’s Best Of.

UpdateI removed the link to Recess' site. It might contain a virus. Their coffee is still good though.
Comments:
I filled out the "best of" nomination form with a number of write-in votes of my own. I really think national chains should be banished from that list. It's the "Best of Syracuse" not the "Best of Things You Can Find In Syracuse and Everywhere Else".

Also, the Best Band list is painful. Has that changed at all in the past 10 years?
 
Just want to add another voice of support for Recess Cafe. It would definitely get my vote for Best Coffee Joint. Sean really knows his beans.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?